To apply for equipment funding, the child must be a registered client of Easter Seals Ontario, under the age of 19 years and have a valid Ontario Health Card. To find out more about registration eligibility and the registration process see Register Your Child.
Please be advised that the Incontinence Supplies Grant Program is a separate program that has different eligibility criteria and requires a different application to be completed. Find out more on the Incontinence Supplies Grant page.
Completing the Equipment Funding Program Application
- All supporting documentation must accompany the completed application.
- Vendors must be located in Ontario.
Please note, there are different documentation requirements depending on the type of equipment you are applying for:
Accessibility, Bathroom and Toileting Aids:
These items are not eligible for funding from the Ministry of Health’s Assistive Devices Program (ADP) funding or government funding, with the exception of van lifts funded through the March of Dimes Canada Vehicle Modification Program (see Van Lifts below for more details).
- For non-ADP approved items, a letter of support from the prescribing occupational therapist or physiotherapist describing the need for the equipment is required.
- Two current vendor quotes for equipment are preferred. An exception may be made if there is only one vendor available locally or if it is customized equipment. It is the family’s choice which vendor they would like to use.
- If the higher quoted vendor is chosen, the family is responsible for paying for the difference between the two quotes.
Communication Devices and Orthotics:
- When applying for an ADP funded computer, communication device, ankle-foot orthotics or knee-ankle-foot orthotics, you must include a current vendor quote that states the amount being covered by ADP. There is no ADP approval or letter of support required with the application, as it is a specific amount set by the Ministry of Health. Alternatively, a copy of the ADP approval can be submitted.
Walkers and Wheelchairs and Standers:
- For ADP funded walkers, standers and wheelchairs, please obtain a copy of the ADP application form or a letter of support from the prescribing therapist that clearly states the date they submitted an application to ADP for the specific item being requested.
- The vendor’s quote accompanying the request for funding must be current and include the amount expected to be covered by ADP.
- If for any reason ADP does not cover their anticipated payment amount, Easter Seals will not change the amount we have approved.
Van lift funding: Easter Seals Ontario will not consider funding if the van is more than five (5) years old. If you are accessing additional funding from the Home and Vehicle Modification Program at March of Dimes Canada (1.877.369.4867), the process is:
- Apply to the Home and Vehicle Modification Program first.
- The Home and Vehicle Program will contact you to confirm you are eligible to proceed to the second stage.
- Once you are proceeding to the second stage, apply for Easter Seals funding.
- Easter Seals’ Equipment Funding Program Coordinator will contact you to discuss the funding process, as van lift applications will not be reviewed until the confirmation of other funding has been received.
Please note: Labour for installation, taxes, delivery or assessment costs are not funded.
Application Approval Process:
- Equipment Funding Program applications can be submitted starting on January 1 each year. Approval of applications is subject to available funds.
- Completed applications and support documentation can be mailed, faxed or emailed. Current quotes, letter of support and/or ADP Information must accompany the application request.
- If any information is missing or incomplete, the application will be returned for completion, delaying the process for assistance.
- Applications are approved on a first-come, first-served basis until funds available for this program are depleted.
- Parent and the vendor will be notified once your application is approved. The vendor cannot start the ordering process until the parents have made/confirmed the order.
- Parents are responsible to order the equipment after an approval letter has been received from Easter Seals Ontario.
- Funding approval is valid for four (4) months from the date of approval. The invoice from the vendor must be received prior to the end of the four (4) month period. Important: If there is a delay, please apply for an extension by contacting the Equipment Funding Program
- Parents must sign and date the invoice upon receiving the equipment.
- If an invoice is received and the date of delivery is noted to be prior to approval given by Easter Seals Ontario, it is not eligible for Easter Seals’ funding. Funding approval will not be considered to be valid and the parent will be responsible for the full amount to the vendor.
- Once the item has been received, with the parent’s signature as proof of delivery, Easter Seals’ payment will be paid to the vendor directly and not to the parent.
- Easter Seals does not fund private sales or lend funds to pay for a family’s insurance or ADP portion.
- For clients who are 18 years old, the application must be submitted 6 months prior to their child’s 19th birthday to allow for processing.
Tips for Completing the Form
- Fill out all requested information. Please include an email address to get notifications as soon as possible.
- Complete the calculation box on page four, letters A through F, for the amount being requested.
- Parent is responsible for first $100 per equipment request. This should be forwarded directly to the vendor. If family is unable to contribute because of financial hardship, please write in $0 on line E of the calculation box with a reason as to why the family can not contribute, and Easter Seals will consider waiving the minimum amount if funds are available.
- Complete the authorization for the preferred vendor to whom Easter Seals Ontario is to release the notification of approved funding.
- No additional funding will be considered after Easter Seals Ontario has granted an approval.
- YOU MUST INITIAL THAT YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE REQUESTED EQUIPMENT. You do not need to initial if applying for funding of a renewal of a communication device lease.
- Sign and date the completed application.
- Please complete Help Us Help You on page five of the application form. This information helps Easter Seals communicate to our donor how they are making a difference with their support.
- Complete the Check List.
- Remember to keep a copy of the completed application for your own files.
PLEASE NOTE, Easter Seals Ontario acts as a third party funder and as such has no role in prescribing, recommending equipment, selecting a vendor/contractor or in the relationship between the parent and vendor. Payment from the Equipment Funding Program is not an acknowledgement that the work or equipment was acceptable. Parents are required to sign a waiver on the application indemnifying Easter Seals Ontario and its employees against any claims, negligence, losses or other legal liability.
Completed Applications can be sent via:
Mail: Equipment Funding Program, Easter Seals Ontario, 700-1 Concorde Gate, Toronto, Ontario M3C 3N6
Fax: 416.696.1035 (please send to the attention of the Equipment Funding Program)
Please note, it is the parent/ guardian(s) responsibility to follow up with Easter Seals to ensure the application has been received.
If you have any questions about the application or whether certain equipment is eligible for funding, please do not hesitate to contact the Equipment Funding Program at 416.421.8146, toll-free at 1.866.630.3336 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.